Saturday, May 10, 2008

At wits end

I've just decided to conquer Mandarin once and for all...for various reasons...

1. I want to be able to converse with my boyfriend's friend and family...I noticed that it can be mentally tiring, to need to translate every conversation they are having, to English, just to accommodate me...

2. Some of my students are limited in their understanding of English...and I need to stop using sign-languages...

But, hell...

I don't like Mandarin...I never did...well, maybe if I was familiar with it at a younger age, it would not be so hard...so, can anyone blame me??...it is not my fault that I had no Mandarin influence when I was a kid...all my childhood friends then were 'bananas' too...by the time my mum realized its importance, I was already near college age, and refused at all cost, to join 5 year olds in learning their Mandarin vocab...and how annoying that both my brothers are lucky enough to avoid the same fate...

Aarrgghh!!!...it is frustrating to learn to converse in a foreign language, when I already am so comfortable in the language I'm functioning in now...it is also painful to be laughed at, at this age...to be laughed WITH, is fine with me...but to be laughed AT, (after a while), could be a large blow to self-confidence...

Secondly, the vocab of Mandarin is so large, I don't know where to start!!...First of all, as I'm not able to read Mandarin words, my resources are thus limited to conversations...so, for the first time, books are not really there to help me improve my vocab!!...the only people I talk to; my students, a couple of my friends, my family, and my boyfriend...ah, well...at least that is a start...

I was just wondering, if I should join a Mandarin class...still struggling with that thought...as much as I want to open myself to learning Mandarin, I'm not sure if I'm totally comfortable yet, forcing myself to classes of two hours a week...probably with some kiddies!!...

No comments: