Thursday, June 19, 2008

Beyond Narccissism

So, everybody has their tale to tell...everyone has a story to share...as for me, I was not exactly enthusiastic and elated with the idea of of a guy/lady poking their watchamacalit stuff into my teeth and gums...gets my body all tensed up, and I have visions of the devil with his fork, laughing at me while I will myself to my doom...

It wasn't MY idea, that I got braces years ago...in fact, as far as the orthodontist was concern, I only had ONE crooked teeth on the front...and I felt that it was not worth all the pain, the insane amount of money, the restriction to liquid food...but it seems enough a reason for my dad...I don't know what went through his mind...but he seemed to have this paranoia, of not being to marry me off one day..."Eh girl (his pet name for me, apparently), you'd better get your teeth done. If not I will be stuck having to support you for my whole life!!"...Yea, that was sooooooo encouraging, dad...I owe you one there...

It was four years since I took out my braces...and I NEVER wore the retainer...I felt too ecstatic, feeling the freedom around my gums, not suppressed by anything metalic...in fact, I loved this feeling so much, I never looked back...until yesterday...

By now, I think you should know that orthodontist and I do not really have a fate together...I avoid them like plague...especially when they are having in their hands that pointy little metal bugger that throbes at your teeth ever so often...I shiver, just listening to them drill something onto a poor soul's teeth...this torture that haunts you every half a year...I have successfully avoided them for 8 half years...

I decided it was high time, I did scaling...If anyone does not know what that is...scaling, is the removing of extra plaque, tartar and calculus, that is still sticking onto one's teeth...In that process, the orthodontist commented that she has discovered a hole, which needs filling...and my old fillings were wearing out, so I would have to 'renew' them...and worst of all, due to NOT wearing a retainer for these four years, my teeth has shifted position SLIGHTLY...and adviced that if I would still want the teeth that I once had, I would have to stick to my retainer 26 hours a day...

I don't know which is more painful...sticking to my retainer like glue to reposition my teeth, or having my unlucky kids laugh at me for my crooked teeth...

I think I prefer to stick with the retainer...*sigh*...things we do for the love of beauty...

I have an appointment with the orthodontist again next week...to do some re-fillings, and to fix my retainer...yea, I surprised myself sometimes...but my mum would be jumping with joy on her bed right now...it used to be that she had to bribe/pay me to put a foot in the dentist's office...

No comments: