Thursday, July 17, 2008

Spawn of the Devil

It used to be that anybody who didn't own a Friendster membership would be a sore loser...school mates would tease you...and you'd hate your mum for not subscribing to an Internet line...you'll sneak into the cybercafe, sign up for tonnes of emails you don't use...just to show how 'updated' you can be...

You have all the chatlines you can get...MIRC, ICQ, AOL, etc...you can hardly keep track...all just for the sake of shutting those laughing hyena friends of yours, for successfully making you feel like Dumbo...

That was the 90s...

Now, the change has come...

"You don't have Facebook? How is that possible? How are you going to keep in touch with everyone?"

"Join Facebook, please!!...I wanna 'super-poke' you...just for fun!!"...

"You are still on FRIENDSTER??!!...Who in the world joins that anymore??...micro-organisms and viruses?...you need to get yourself updated, man!!"

Well, first of all, there is always MSN and my personal favourite, Skype which I use every so often to keep in touch with my long lost friends...and have not disappointed me so far...except for the damn connection!!...

Secondly, how lame can you get, when self entertainment, is simply derived from 'super-poking' someone?...How fun could that be compared to taking a stroll on a shopping mall, or reading?...I happen to have a better life than that...and even in my free time...erm...hang on...what free time am I referring to??...I always have my violin and piano pieces to improve on!!...

Thirdly, in my opinion, Friendster serves the same purpose as Facebook...so yes, I am comparing a Proton Saga (Malaysia's self acclaimed car production, which ain't making any money at the moment) and Lamborghini...a DOS computer processor with an Intel Core 2 Duo Processor...a Motorola 100 retro and a Motorola SLVR L7 Diamond...but it doesn't make any difference...it fulfills my criteria...

Does it allow me to view my friend's profile, to keep myself updated? Post up a photo? Share a blog? Send a comment/message? Reminders and notifications? Profile updates?...I believe you will find all the answers to these questions are...yes, they do...

Yet, let me list the differences between the two:-

a) Friendster isn't as annoying as Facebook...
Let's face it... Facebook tries too hard...from event scheduling, to sending a virtual gift, to Buy-Your-Own-Friends request...I mean...what the..."Buy-Your-Own-Friends" application??...What in the world is that for?...What purpose does it play in my virtual life?...My friends ain't from the Hallmark...or some Ebay auction...and just so you know, my friends happened to be priceless...and can never be bought at any price...period...

I understand the need to pack in as many services into one package in order to make it attractive...but the number of possibilities here, are simply overwhelming...

As for Friendster...just nice...no annoying adds, no 'spaming'...

b) Facebook, are one of the many causes of downfall of the English language and literacy...
Just in case you didn't know, I am one of them who harbour an intense hatred for abbreviations like ROFL, LMAO,etc...especially when it comes to blogging, or writing a note online...I belive that abbreviations only help, when one is taking down personal notes from lectures, etc...Abbreviations in this virtual world is simply shortening a language that people do not get enough practice of, anyway...It kills me to see people 'riting lk dis al d tme cz dey dun noe how 2 spell prprly'...does it get on anyone else's nerves when that happens?...

Of course, an occasional 'shd'/'cld' or an 'lol'...is exceptable...but coming to SMS terms?...screws my brain, I tell ya!!

(Note: I am well aware that Friendster isn't much help to the improvement of English grammar either...but the degradation of the language is more obvious in Facebook. Thanks for NOT pointing that out)

c) The idea of judged by the amount of applications I have on Facebook...
Someone once told me..."You have to allow yourself to be vulnerable in order for Facebook to work."...So now, it turns out that since I chose to subscribe to maximum privacy, keep my profile as simple as possible., not list EVERY single book I read..I'm doomed to be a lousy team player...a pathetic loser...

Nice try, dude...but I'm not that naive...or easily influenced...nor do I hunger to be popular...Just so you know, I've had a taste of popularity before...now, leave me to enjoy my peace...

At the moment, I'm sitting at 561 requests and invitations for something or another, on my Facebook...but I'm not intimidated...neither will I budge...

No comments: