Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Death of Democracy

Malaysia mourns today...at least, I did...

Deputy Prime Minister Najib Tun Razak was declared new UMNO president today...this would mean that he would be succeeding current Prime Minister Abdullah Badawi, and taking his place...Corridors of power opens, and nothing to hold him back...he is literally invincible...and above the law...

He has won his seat, not by election but at the expense of many other politicians who have been crucified on the alter of political sacrifice...Political heads that is deemed a threat to his hold in power, have been decapitated and outlawed...

This is truly a sad day, I feel...Don't get me wrong...I am not saying that Prime Minister Abdullah Badawi has done such a terrific post that he should stay and retain his post...Neither am I saying that we are to give Abdullah Badawi a chance to redeem himself...

I am saying...that I personally feel Abdullah Badawi is the lesser of two evils, compared to Najib Tun Razak...Abdullah Badawi may not be the most capable leader in Malaysian history...but his departure for Najib's grand entrance would make haste, for my country; the path to a swirling disaster...Many called for Abdullah's resignation, when the walls of Barisan National (BN) fell apart...they seek his blood for the humiliation that (BN) had to endure...but many also failed to forsee possible consequences of having his successee, Najib Razak take his place...

I am not at all excited for my country...and the new UMNO president and coming Prime Minister does NOT have my support, whatsoever...

Now that I am older...as I devote the same amount of attention to the ongoing politics, as I do to the growing pimples in my face...I learn to understand how important it is, for one's Prime Minister to have the trust of the majority to run the country...to cradle his nation in the palm of his hand...Hence, I would expect a Prime Minister to be of great integrity...not only in terms of character...but in handling his office...and personal life...

The way I look at it, Najib Tun Razak holds none of those...Without any intention to accuse Najib, he had his name tarnished...smeared beyond recognition...plenty of allegations to his name, which none of them were cleared...hence fuelling more doubt in the hearts of the nation...fuelling more fear too...

And this does help, especially when these allegations were not confronted, he remaining silent when being challenged...and to find the challenger being suspended from the office for a year, without giving the challenger an opportunity to defend himself...

This certainly is a Dark Age for us fellow Malaysians...Democracy has been buried, following the power grab of the Perak State by the BN...with all the seize power tactics, which includes disappearance of certain important politicians, money-politicking, blockading of assemblies by police...I can't help but wonder what kind of age and leadership is Najib going to bring our country to...

I don't think I can talk about this anymore...for once, I am truly depressed...truly sad...the days for our nation looks bleak...all I can do, is to have faith...and believe...not in Najib...but in our nation...that democracy will one day prevail...justice will be seen to....

If you don't mind, I think I will be dressing in black and white this entire week...and if I had a flag, I would hang it half-way down...

No comments: