Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The twilight zone...

It is said that for one to lose weight, one must not lose out on her/his sleep....I've also read somewhere that for optimal growth, we would also require adequate sleep...or face the dangers of stunted heights and slow brain activity...

If that is the case, and considering the amount of sleep that I've had last week alone...I should be at least 2m tall, emaciated and have an IQ higher than Einstein by now...

But I'm not...darn...

I remember when I was back in secondary school...the teenage days...where my mum would never allow me to go for afternoon siestas...
[Disclaimer : I'm not trying to make my mum look like the 'evil step-mother of some kind'...its just differences in opinion]

My parents will understandably think that siestas of more than one hour would keep me awake as an owl late at night...

Their GOLDEN RULE : SLEEP EARLY (though I've YET seen my dad go by that rule even till now...apparently these rules doesn't apply to grown-ups with children...)

Which is why they have assorted many ways to wake me up from my afternoon siestas...throwing a wet sponge at me, shouting their throats sore...you name it...

But let me explain my side of the story...

It is difficult and annoying habit since I was young...to read before I sleep...it is DIFFICULT and almost impossible, for me to just switch off the lights, "think of a blank piece of paper" or count sheep and drift off to Dreamland...It just keeps me awake for longer hours then I can imagine...and by the time I really get to sleep, it is already time to wake up...

Which explains the habit of me sleeping with the lights on...reading will slowly lull me to sleep (estimation of half an hour at least)..my comforter wrapped around my legs...but any LOUD sound awakes me...let alone me having to GET UP, walk to the power socket, switch off the lights, and back to my bed again...by then, I'm mentally as bright as a xenon light...Will have to go through the whole reading process again...

And no, coffee and tea has nothing to do with it...I'm absolutely immune to them...

Same goes for my afternoon siesta...I read before I fall asleep, which will take me close to 45 minutes...my mind is still active...so reading any psychological thriller will just get me all excited and pumped up...I dislike Sweet Valley High, so that is out of the picture too...I would usually opt out for worn out books that I've read so many times, I can memorize them in my sleep...last time, it used to be Christopher Pike...now, I'm going for Jeffrey Archer...*grin*...

I would drift off close to one hour from when I started reading...then you can hear my mum knocking the door down...I JUST MANAGED to put myself to sleep...and now, there is a lady outside shouting...can you blame me for ignoring her??...Alarm clocks, you can shove it on the floor...slam the stupid button, and it shuts up immediately...only to go off again 9 minutes later...but your mum, you can't just shout at her and ask her to get lost...I wouldn't have managed to live with that thought for the rest of my life...

I just wished that she would go easier on me during my siesta times...of course, now I have the complete say...yet it doesn't change the fact there is a possibility that deprivation of sleep during my teenage days might just have something to do with my lack of height...if she would have let me sleep on, my body may have a better chance of growing...and I might have been a sexy tall, willowy lady with thick black hair...

Hmmm...I probably should rephrase that last statement...I just found out, during my last trip back home...that my mum reads my blog...she may accuse me of over-exaggerating...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, I'm back!

I've been busy lately, so it feels good to be back home. I got to go on a road trip to the Grand Canyon and also some meteor crash site along the way also. It was awesome.

About the weight loss... I had no idea that it was tied to sleep! I really need to shed some pounds, but I find myself always staying up past midnight... Is that why I've been having trouble??

Also, I'm very sensitive to sound when I sleep... When I discovered ear plugs, I instantly became addicted. Now I can't sleep without them because they gives me that ultimate silence I need.

Unlike you, I just go straight to bed and try to sleep. I start thinking about a lot of things, just random things. Eventually thinking eases me into a dream-like state and I shut off like a computer.

Also, it's strange, but I can sleep during the daytime if I'm very tired... but at night, the faintest light can be a noticeable annoyance to me. I can't sleep when I close my eyes and it isn't pitch black. Sometimes I use a sleeping mask offset any light present.

Lastly, kind of off-topic but I want to share... I have an ability to enter dreams where I'm aware that I'm dreaming. It's really cool and sometimes you can make anything happen by thinking it. If you are ever aware that you are in a dream, try to pick up a book and read it.

I think they say people dream with the left part of the brain and read with the right part of the brain... or vice-versa. Since you are in a dream, the right side of the brain is disabled, so it should be virtually impossible to read anything you find in your dreams.

I confirmed that many times. Sometimes you can read small words (3-5 letters), but you should normally see random jumbled letters, sometimes distorted. It was quite the trippy experience. I'm always looking out for books in my dreams.

Sorry for hogging so much of your coments page. I write too much. Maybe I should start a blog...

Anonymous said...

how did ur mum end up finding ur blog? i wonder how will my mum react when she finds out that i have a blog that is vulgarly vulgar!!!

on the soft side, nope i am not hiting on u but u are 1 heck of a pretty and beautiful lady... so dont think less of urself anymore..