Friday, February 6, 2009

All I needed to know, I learned from the tube...

When I was a kid, back in the 80's, my friends would be in their own world pursuing constructive endeavors such as attending Kumon classes, ballet, piano classes, etc...I, chose to watch cartoons...

Now, before you start pointing fingers at my mum, for allowing me to be 'baby-sat' by the mindless tube, let me explain, that I use to be a pain in the neck, constantly looking to be with my mum, even when she is working...so the tube and books, were my only distraction, to give her some peace and allow her to get some breathing space...

I never forgot any of those cartoons, even till now...I mean, I can't really say that I can recall each and every detail of the cartoons that I have watched...but now that I come to think of it, many of the cartoons have taught me a valuable lesson...

For example...

The Smurfs
One elderly blue male in the red hat, who has no real power, but it is generally understood that he was a respected leader of the community...One female in the entire population of blue males with white pointy hats...

Everybody has a house of the same size...no bigger, no smaller...Everyone has equal authority and power, and no one gets side-lined...Everyone has a special talent that is used to contribute to the harmony of the community...they look the same, dress the same, talk the same, live the same...and they are all united in fighting the mean old Gargamel and that hungry, misunderstood Azrael...

The most important lesson I learn : COMMUNISM actually works!!!...Can you believe it??...China and Russia must have really gone wrong somewhere...

Transformers
Robots from an alien world, has chosen our earth as their 'playground', the good fighting the evil...Robots with capability of transforming into vehicles...the good ones, usually transform to old-fashion commercial transports such as lorries, family cars and wat nots...the evil ones usually take on vehicles of a higher level...helicopters, and jet planes...Robots changing into bigger robots...then they combine powers together to destroy an even bigger robot...and usually they are successful...all in a day's work, isn't it??...ah, who could ever forget dear old Optimus Prime and the Autobots??...

The most important lesson I learn : One : Never judge a robot by its cover...it is usually "more than meets the eye"...Two : If I don't behave, the Decepticons will kill us all...

Popeye The Sailor Man
If you want to win the love and affections of your leggy, tight-skirted Olive Oyl, one can of spinach will do the trick. It always starts with a losing battle between Bluto and Popeye...and Popeye would, with much pain and agony crawl towards an available can of spinach conveniently lying around the corner...Sure, as we kids know, spinach never tasted as good as lollies, ice-cream and cheese...but man, it is so full of essential vitamin goodness, that it is bound to make your biceps explode like canons...then it will be followed by Popeye's gusty, yet short and sweet 'fight' with defenseless Bluto...and Olive Oyl with come to Popeye, smothering him with kisses...forget it that Olive was a complete bimbo, with flirtatious character...having fallen for Bluto a few times, for his 'macho-ness'...

The most important lesson I learn : One : Eat your veggies...Two : Muscles can be build in seconds...Third : Protein shakes are shit, veggie vitamins will do...

Note : I would love to share more examples, but it is starting to eat into my time...hence, I have to cut it short to just a couple...

Now, would you mind sharing a few of your 'lessons from the tube' with me?...*grin*

No comments: