Sunday, December 7, 2008

Much Ado about Fishes

I'd never thought I'd do it...and best of all, I'd never thought that I would be able to convince my Boyfriend to let down his guard and join me, in this un-dignify-ing act!!!...

A year ago, if someone were to tell me to cough out RM38 for little fishes to feast on my skin, I would have given you THAT look...the look that I usually reserve for idiots...*grin*...hehe, yet, despite all my vows about not being tempted/influenced by the trend of the society, I, without shame and only a slight hesitation...summoned the little guts that I had left...and head down for a fish spa at MidValley...

Being my compulsive character, this trip wasn't really planned and quite spontaneous...many of my friends came back with positive reviews, and were raving about it so much...that it really got me curious to see what the whole fuss was all about...yet, since I didn't want to go solo, I dragged poor Boyfriend along to join the experience...

For all the positive and exciting words they had for the fish spa, they sure forgot to mention how blardy TICKLISH it could be!!!...Yes, I am ticklish at all sides...my Boyfriend is especially ticklish at the foot...so he is at a slight disadvantage compared to me...*grin*...

So yes, for a good ten minutes, my Boyfriend and I were giggling...with complete disregard to other customers who were peacefully having a chat/reading a magazine...etc...While those fishes were having an eating frenzy, I struggled to not fidget around, and let them go about their business...just so that I can get my money's worth...yes, that is the China-man mentality, I am aware of that...thank you very much...

These fishes were supposedly able to clean off any dead skin flakes, therefore leaving your skin smooth and refreshed...as if having gone through skin exfoliation...The way the fishes were going for my feet, you'd would have thought that they were starved for days or something...(which btw, the thought did occur to me, while going through the whole procedure)...

Having gone through the nibbling sensation for 30 minutes, one of the staff informed us that our time was up, and we were to proceed to the massage parlour (the package we paid for, came with a massage)...I left the aquarium...NOT without a souvenir!!!...Somehow the bigger fish managed to nibble my big toe raw...till it bled...funny, I read somewhere that these gentle fishes were supposed to be toothless...

I did some reading up online upon returning home, happy with the general experience, yet slightly disturbed by the fact that the fishes were behaving agressively, unlike kind-mannered mud-sucking species that they were supposed to be...and here is what I found out...

Turns out, that Dr. Fish/Garra Rufa are actually slender little fishes (as I originally thought) with a mouth like bottom feeder fish...I wasn't sure about the 'beginner' fish tank that I first sat in...they were quite small, so I couldn't tell...but the 'hard core' fish tanks were larger and wide...resembling little phirannas...just not as aggressive...Dr. Fishes, when nibbling on dead skins releases a certain compounds that reputedly help skins problems...whereas, fake fishes (I believe it is called Chin Chin Yu), are starved, so that they feed on whatever is touches their water...in this case, it was my foot...and sunk their blessed teeth into it...

I dare not accuse the fish spa of deceiving their trusting customers and marketing a fake fish spa experience...but I'll definitely show you this...

This is how a real Dr Fish/Garra Rufa is suppose to look like...


And these were the monsters found in the spa I was in...

Need I say more??

But nevertheless, I must say I still enjoyed the foot and shoulder massage...I'll probably go back for that...but for fish spas...I think I'll need to go for another bout of scouting again...

Wait!!!...whatever am I talking about?...Why shouldn't I reveal the name of the spa I was in?...Man...I must be getting my priorities all wrong...

Its the Kenko fish spa (it has a rather loud music when the link appears, so make sure your speaker/ear phones volumes are down)...ever heard of it??...if yes, don't ever drop by there again...if no...don't ever drop by there at all...

No comments: