Friday, May 15, 2009

Tough Love...

Dear students...

Congratulations on your results for your theory exam...That moment was indeed rewarding and blissful, no?...All your hard work and commitment did pay off...I am very proud of all of you...seriously...

Enjoy your much-deserved euphoric moment...Enjoy it for the next 2 weeks...

Because come next month, we are all on level ground again on a harder and more tiring journey...Tempers will flare...at least, mine will....Patience may grow thin...(me, guilty again)...School exams will want to take precedence (as it always have been), and expectations will ride heavy on your shoulders...You may have arguments with your parents. Your teachers/parents/friends/fellow students of various clubs might send you murderous vibes for ditching lessons/tuition/being made to be your driver/listening to you playing over and over the same songs...or for just merely taking up too much oxygen and space...

For those who didn't get through the exam, tough luck...that's all I've got to say...I have said all I have to, repeated myself like a CD player gone nuts...stressing on commitment, and perseverance...students of your age, I would have expected a certain amount of discipline and responsibility from you...but should you choose to go party with your friends, or one month of vacation overseas over extra theory classes...that is beyond my help...we have talked about this before the registration of your theory exam...and being well aware of the pressure standing before you, yet you chose the path you choose...well, like I said...tough luck...we will just have to aim for the next exam...and hopefully, no more parties and wat-nots...

My advice for both parties – Suck it up...Don’t whinge...Don't cry...and move on....You're kids no more...

For we’re not done yet...In fact, we are just beginning our journey...

And it is on this journey that I would advice you to reflect on your past experience...How have you been learning so far?...Are you proud of the effort that you have put in?...How far more are you willing to go?...And most importantly...how much have you grown as a young adolescent and an intelligent musician?

Contemplate on these questions… then remind yourself to be humble...

Be humble...This is my advice which would also serve as a warning, for I would personally choose a student of humble nature over musical talent with a bad attitude...Bluntly put, if I sense any cockiness and smart-arsed remarks from you, I will sit on you real hard...or worst yet, you will be replaced....till you get your act together once more...

Above all, enjoy the music making...Play with your soul...Play because you want to...

Play, just because....

If you can do that, I think you’re the right person for this...

See you in June...


Hugz,

Lessajinomoto

3 comments:

Philip said...

Great post. Way to go, Emily!

Unknown said...

you should teach over here. email is drploof@gmail.com email me there and I will give you my other email so I don't get spammed for putting it up here :) Thanks.

Dr. Robert Ploof said...

Congratulations, I hope you have been coping well, although considering the USA is doing horrible especially with the fools in power I bet Malaysia is a total paradise compared to here haha :) I don't remember why I read your blog but I did a long time ago and now I find myself here again. Thank you for your time. Appreciate your thoughts and the effort to type them for everyone to read. :) You are a wonderful person and a good human being!

robert.ploof@iadsystems.com