Saturday, May 16, 2009

Bloopers...

I had planned to hand in an official letter to my boss, about my intention to resign from my teaching position in his studio...and shift to another company, and also focus on expending my personal 'clientele'...

I have been in quite good terms with him throughout my two years of teaching...and if it wasn't for the higher commission which I am about to receive in this new company, I would have no other reason to leave...I have enjoyed working in this company...there was no interruption nor questioning, in terms of my style of teaching...and my demands of my student...there was a mutual respect, and I have nothing against him...well, the management is another story altogether...

So, resigning from this position did put me in quite a dilemma...I have a soft spot for my students, and I really hate confrontations of this sort...so I wanted to make it as painless and comfortable as I can...

I have pondered about what I should write in my resignation letter...Should I tell him that I have decided to move to another company??...if so, what reason should I state??...I had thought of coming clean, and just letting him know that he could try raising the teacher's commission...but man, if that goes wrong...one stroke of a pen...and I could be black-listed...just what I need...pissing a boss at the beginning of my career...

I feel bad, actually...I feel like I am abandoning his company for a selfish cause...call me the soft-hearted pussy all you want...so I typed my resignation letter with much thought (but no personal reason stated)...and clicked "Print"....

A box popped up on my computer screen...telling me..."Paper Out!!"...and complete instructions on how to load the paper...and restart the printer...Damn it...I forgot I have used up all my A4 paper...Hell, I thought...I'll just print it out in a used paper...and photostat it when I reach the studio later...

So I went about my business...teaching, meeting the parents, and all that jazz...then I managed to find time to creep out of the studio, to head for the photostat shop down the street...it was raining heavily then...but I was too caught up with my thoughts to bother...

The photostat owner photostated the letter for me, free of charge, that nice lady...then I headed to the stationary shop to buy an envelop...

I was thinking to myself then...hmmmm....The boss' mum just passed away a week ago...maybe I should get him a condolence card or something...just to sweeten the whole deal up...will probably put him in a good mood too...

So after choosing an envelope, I rushed to the card section, scanned through the little shelf, and took a card under the 'Sympathy' section, without giving it more than a read...I then parked myself in a little corner, and started writing on the card...

Had a small chat with the stationary lady while I was there...smart lady, she was...she somehow put together the jigsaw puzzle, and understood that both the letter of resignation and condolence card was meant for the same person...

"Erm, you're not going to send the resignation letter together with this card, are you??" the lady asked me nervously...

I replied..."Why not??"

In fact, that is exactly what I planned to do...just to get in the good side of soon to be ex-boss...yeah, I am apple polishing...so what...

"Erm, you may want to take a look at the caption in front of the card..."

I turn the card...written in nice Italic words...size 24, if I were to guess...

I'LL ALWAYS BE THERE FOR YOU...

1 comment:

Duncan said...

A close escape Emily. You were lucky.