Friday, April 6, 2007

Exam fever...

....one week of leftover food piled up in a corner...a stack of dirty plates still lying on the sink...countless mugs with coffee stains...manuscript papers and research books all spread out across the bed...crumpled papers staring back forlornly across the room...fingers numb, after writing goodness-knows-how-many music scores...night after night, slaving in front of the monitor screen...hmmm...I think I've just graphically described how a music student's life would look now upon entering one's room....my room at least....now whose fault is it?...blame it on the final exam fever....blame it on procrastination...blame it on the "toilet bowl that got stuck"..."my goldfish died"..."my grandmama wanted to renew her driving license"....blame it on anything...except me...It ain't my fault...*Do I hear an "amen" from other varsity students as well?*...*grin*....

...one week just past...and I already looked a good 10 years older...the week is nearly over...yet, let me see....what do I have for next week...erm....I've still have got my Counterpoint final assessment to prepare...overdue assignments to hand in...I've got my Ear Training practical exams...that is 5 bloody chapters of rhythm to slaughter...countless pages of Temporary Modulation Lines to learn up....hmmm...what else...I've got HAMM exam to revise...going through all the theory of sub-dominants...special dominant functions...deceptive resolutions...contiguous dominants...pedal points...hybrid chords...polychords...modal harmony...12 tone serial-ism...ostinato patterns...melodic constructions...and whatever else that I forgot.....a recording to do for Song Writing...a complete arrangement of a given song for Arranging Class...PLUS sequencing....yup, yup...Thatz how my following week will be....hooooooooowwwww interesting.....yay....

To think that I could finally rest in peace after preparing all of the above....*chuckles to self*....FAT CHANCE...says me to my reflection...The phase comes with its own set of problems... where we encounter the technical part of hiccups ...the printer jams up or when the desktop computer hangs due to heavy infestation of viruses and spy-wares...slow internet services...and also in writing of the music itself, confusion in theoretical analysis and of course, lets not forget one of the most common problem...composer's writing block....

*heesh*... But all in all, these are just my petty grumblings on what most varsity music students come to encounter. I have to confess that after all these grouchiness and protest...when the music comes about....the feeling of satisfaction just goes to prove that it is all worthwhile in the end...when the storm is over, that is....

well, lets hope its over with me soon....I can feel my brain cells about to do the jumpin'-jelly-beans dance...

No comments: